HostGator has been providing services to businesses and individuals for almost two decades. During that time it amassed 800,000 customers and continues to grow. Its website builder comes with the essential features needed to create a professional-looking website. You get access to a free domain, unlimited pages, unmetered bandwidth, social and SEO tools, eCommerce functionality, and much more. It’s ideal for small businesses and entrepreneurs who don’t have the budget to hire a designer but aren’t willing to compromise on quality. It doesn’t have many integrations with other tools but if that’s not an issue for you then it’s a solid choice to start your online journey.
We use Gator for web hosting and design. Our last host got too expensive so we went looking and found Hostgator. It did everything that we needed at a lower price point and it has better support.
- The panel for the hosting is user friendly
- The website builder is straightforward and did not take long to learn
- Tech support is responsive
I use the hosting and builder for client websites as well as my own. It has good uptime and the features are adequate for smaller websites that are not too focused on eCommerce.
- You can count on your website being up most of the time
- It’s inexpensive, especially for the first term
Wait times in the support chat can be long
It’s good but beware the upsell Hostgator is the platform of choice for us to build, host, and backup our website. We even take advantage of the additional features like SSL certificate and SiteLock. We’ve had repeated instances of them trying to upsell
No material downtime in our two-year history
- It takes a long time to connect with the support team
- There are many upsells for features which I think should be included