According to Statista, the number of Instagram users worldwide is nearly 1.5 billion. That is a lot of people that could potentially view your profile. You never know who might be looking, so you need to make sure you post the best Instagram profile picture possible.
If you have created a profile on any social media account, you know that things aren’t always as they seem. Everything looks perfect on your desktop computer, but when you view it on your iPhone or Android phone, not so much! Images and postings can look vastly different across different devices, so adhering to the guidelines established by each social media platform is essential.
Select the Right Picture for Your Instagram Profile
A picture is worth a thousand words, so select an Instagram profile photo that tells the story of your business. Choose a picture that fits your company’s personality, style, and product. If you are a restaurant, consider a photo of your signature dish. A photographer? How about a picture of you holding a camera? Whichever social media image you ultimately select, ensure it is high-quality and memorable.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting your Insta profile pic.:
- Avoid full-body pictures. The profile image is just a tiny circle making it hard to distinguish a body. The face is what users want to see anyway.
- Center the image. The focal point of the image should be in the middle of the circle.
- Consider several options. If you are hiring a photographer to get the picture, try different styles. You may change your mind after seeing your first choice online.
- Headshots for the face of the company. Many influencers, authors, and boutique businesses use headshots. If this fits your brand, use a professionally styled photo. Never use a selfie on a business profile.
- Limit changing your image. It is easy to change and edit profile pictures, but updating them too often can confuse your followers. Think of a profile image as a type of logo—consistency in use aids in brand recognition. You wouldn’t change your logo design willy-nilly; you shouldn’t change your image willy-nilly either.
- Make it pop. Use attractive lighting and bright colors.
- Use your brand’s logo. Using your logo may be your preference for users to recognize your brand instantly.
Get Your Instagram Profile Image Size Right
You took the time to select the perfect picture; now, take the time to ensure it meets the standard cover photo size requirements. You may have a robust social media marketing strategy in place, but people will keep scrolling if your first impression is an unprofessional-looking profile image.
Your Instagram profile picture is displayed as a circle, but when uploading images, you will upload square images with an aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) of 1:1. Instagram photo files are stored at 320 x 320 pixels, so your image should be at least that big. Upload JPG or PNG files to avoid possible compression or distortion.
According to Statista, the number of Instagram users worldwide is nearly 1.5 billion.
On Instagram’s mobile app, your Instagram profile picture size will be displayed at 110 x 110 pixels. When viewed on a desktop, the image size is 180 x 180 pixels.
Mobile vs Desktop
Instagram is ubiquitous! People are scrolling through the feeds on smartphones, desktop computers, Macs, and a host of other connected, mobile devices. Make sure you validate your image on the different platforms. Confirm it is centered, key portions are not cropped, and placement is good.
If the profile isn’t clean, double-check the file size and/or the image itself. For example, if your logo has long text, you may need to stack it instead to avoid cropping.
Take it From Facebook
According to Instagram’s help center, you can update your Instagram profile photo from your Facebook account. Instagram will use the same picture you’re already using for your Facebook profile if you import from Facebook. This sharing feature is the perfect reason to ensure you follow image sizing guidelines across all social media platforms. After importing your Facebook image, you will still want to review it on all devices.
Instagram is ubiquitous! People are scrolling through the feeds on smartphones, desktop computers, Macs, and a host of other connected, mobile devices
There are other Instagram image sizes to worry about, too, including Instagram stories, thumbnails, and feed photos. This article can help out with that, plus it includes image guidelines for Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Make an Impact with the Right Instagram Profile Picture
You can use all the trendy hashtags and have the coolest Instagram feed, but it takes the right profile image to consistently draw in customers. An excellent first impression can make a difference in your bottom line.
Compare the top logo design companies, including Wix and Canva, to help you select the right logo solution for your business. Access our Learning Hub for more tips and tricks on design, marketing and more.
Check out Sonary for reviews, data, and comparison tools to find your next software solutions.